The parish of Powerstown Lisronagh is situated just outside Clonmel. It is a scattered parish, stretching from the river Anner on the east, to Rathkeevin on the west, encroaching up to Drumdeel near Fethard, Castleblake to the north, Two mile bridge and Silversprings to the south and skirting Clonmel on the north to Cahir road.
It is a growing parish with 850 households. It has two churches Powerstown and Lisronagh. Powerstown Church was built in 1810 during the pastorate of Fr. Felix Cleary and is the sixth oldest in the diocese of Waterford and Lismore.Lisronagh Church was built in 1831 during the pastorate of Fr. Michael Wall.The Patron Saint of both churches is St. John the Baptist.
Old Lisronagh Church
The faith of the parish can be traced back to St. Patrick as it is believed he visited Donoughmore Church, which is the oldest historical ruin in the parish and dates back to the 12th Century. There is evidence that over the centuries the people had built 13 churches which served smaller parishes which later amalgamated. Many of these would have been thatched buildings.
The Parish has three schools, Powerstown School which has over 200 pupils, Lisronagh, which has 90 pupils and Rathkeevin which has 109 pupils.
Powerstown Parish has given three Bishops to the Church
Dr. Pierce Power of Clonwalsh became Bishop of the diocese in 1887
Most Rev. Patrick Dalton, a native of Ballyvaughan became Bishop of Yola, Nigeria
Most Rev. Richard Burke, also a native of Ballyvaughan who is now serving as a Bishop in Nigeria
Many men and women from the parish served as missionaries and still do in many parts of the world. Powerstown Church was renovated in 1993 and plans are being made to renovate Lisronagh Church at the moment. The faith has always been strong in the parish down through the centuries and hopefully it will continue to remain strong.