The church was built during the pastorate of Rev. Felix Cleary who was Parish Priest of Powerstown Lisronagh from 1808 to 1815 and the following is the succession of Parish Priests to-date:

1815 - 1852 Rev. Maurice Wall
1852 - 1866 Rev. John Power (later Bishop)
1866 - 1881 Rev. John Crotty
1881 - 1912 Rev. Thos. Hannigan
1912 - 1917 Rev. Richard Casey
1917 - 1935 Rev. Philip Cusack
1936 - 1945 Rev. Thomas P. Coghlan
1946 - 1952 Rev. Nicholas Power
1952 - 1971 Rev. Henry Conway
1971 - 1974 Rev. Thos. Tobin
1974 - 1975 Rev. Canon Thos. Fitzgerald
1975 - 1981 Rev. Thomas Hanrahan
1981 - 1987 Rev. Paul Beecher
1987 - 1997 Rev. Sean Nugent
1997 - to date Rev. Peter Ahearne

Powerstown Church

Powerstown Church

The remains of three priests are interred beneath the North Transcept . We know that Rev. Maurice Wall, mentioned above and Rev. Michael Maxcy, a native of the parish, are buried here. The name of the third priest is unknown but it is likely to have been Rev. Felix Cleary, who built the church in 1810.

Details of the curates who ministered in the parish have been taken from the Parish Registers (commenced 1808) and from The Irish Catholic Directory (commenced 1836), and are accurate only in so far as these sources permit.

 

Powerstown Church
1808 Fr. James Hally
1808 - 1814 Fr. Timothy Flannely
1808 - 1815 Dr. Wm. Howley
1809 - 1812 Fr. Doohy
1810 - 1813 Fr. P. Quirke
1811 - 1814 Fr. J. Ryan
1812 - 1814 Fr. Mackey
1813 - 1815 Fr. N. Cantwell
1813 - 1815 Fr. M. Purcell
1816 Fr. J. Hickey
1817 - 1818 Fr. John Meany
1818 - 1821 Fr. D. Power

 

As the Parish Register was not signed between 1821 and 1839, with the exception of the initials J. K. in 1824, details are not available for this period.

 

1831 - 1836 Fr. Edmund Meagher
1838 - 1839 Fr. J. Gorman
1840 - 1841 Fr. Pierce O'Donnell
1840 - 1841 Fr. John Dee
1840 - 1843 Fr. Ed. O'Donnell
1840 - 1846 Fr. Richard Comerford
1843 - 1845 Fr. Wm. Power
1846 Fr. Peter O'Connor
1846 - 1847 Fr. James Power
1846 - 1854 Fr. Patrick O'Donnell
1848 - 1849 Fr. M. Walsh
1850 - 1856 Fr. Ed. Walsh
1852 - 1866 Fr. John Power
1856 - 1857 Fr. Wm. Power
1857 - 1865 Fr. Patrick Power
1865 - 1875 Fr. James Hannigan
1875 - 1884 Fr. P. Byrne
1884 - 1885 Fr. Patk. Lonergan
1885 - 1890 Fr. Andrew Condon
1890 - 1892 Fr. Wm. Kelly
1892 - 1893 Fr. Thomas Comins
1894 - 1895 Fr. Timothy Burke
1896 - 1898 Fr. John Gleeson
1899 - 1900 Fr. Wm. Ormond
1901 - 1916 Fr. Patrick Burke
1915 - 1916 Fr. P. F. McGrath
1917 - 1927 Fr. Ml. Norris
1917 - 1942 Fr. Ml. Ahearne
1943 - 1946 Fr. Ml. Guiry
1946 - 1951 Fr. Thos. Tobin
1951 - 1953 Fr. Thos. G. Smyth
1954 - 1970 Fr. Thos. Tobin (appointed P.P. 1971)

Powerstown Church

Powerstown Church
prior to reconstruction 1992

Powerstown Church

Fr. Thos. Tobin was the last curate in this parish to-date.

A brief look at the history of the parish shows that the area served by Powerstown church is that of the old parish of Kilgrant with the exception of the areas of the Wilderness and Carrigeen, which were subsumed into the parish of SS. Peter & Paul in the 1970s and 1980s. (These areas are now served by The Church of the Resurrection).

The Civil Survey of 1654 gives the boundary of Kilgrant roughly as follows:

Starting at the River Anner, at Kilgowlroe, that river forms the eastern boundary to its fall into the River Suir: the Suir provides the southern boundary, to the point where it receives the Frenchman's Stream (Shrughnaleamy) at Silversprings: the boundary then goes North to Knockauncourt: then West to Bohereenduff and North again to Rathronan, and then East to the point on the Anner where we commenced.

Kilgrant was one of the seven pre-Reformation parishes which make up to-day's parish of Powerstown Lisronagh, as shown on the sketch hereunder, but the other six parishes had amalgamated long before Kilgrant joined them. Such amalgamations came about because of the scarcity of priests in Penal times, the confiscation of church property and the poverty of the people.

 


Key:

  1. 1. Rathronan (in two parts)
  2. 2. Kiltegan (Seana Mhaighean)
  3. 3. Lisronagh
  4. 4. Baptistgrange (in two parts)
  5. 5. Donoughmore
  6. 6. Mora (Mooretownkirk or Castleblake)
  7. 7. Kilgrant (or Powerstown)

 

Our most precious link with the old Parish of Kilgrant is a chalice inscribed ''The gift of Edmund Theobald Mandeville Butler to the Parish of Kilgrant A.D 1807 which still forms part of our parish altar plate.

In Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of 1837 the parish is listed as Kilgrant or Powers town and it is described as being 1 13/4 mile (E.N.E) from Clonmel on the high road from that place to Waterford, and the mail coach road from Cork to Dublin: containing 1186 inhabitants.

A Report of the Commission of Public Instruction in Ireland (c. 1834) refers to the name of the parish as "Kilgrant alias Powerstown" and it states that one Mass was held here on Sundays and Holidays and the attendance was shown as 1,000 persons: of course in those days there would not have been pews - just standing room.

However, the parish Baptismal and Marriage Registers, commenced in 1808, state the title of the parish as Powerstown & Lisronagh.

The first church of Kilgrant (or Cill Chronnachtain - Cronnachtan's Church) of which the writer is aware was in the old Graveyard at Mylerstown - insignificant remains are still visible there. This church is referred to in the Civil Survey (1654), but it is recorded as being in ruin in 1746 (The Ancient and Present State of the County and City of Waterford by Charles Smith).

It is most likely that in the intervening years, until 1810, the area was served by a thatched chapel or Mass House, and local tradition tells us this was so. Also, Canon Power, in his Parochial History of Waterford and Lismore, refers to the fact that a Father McGrath, who ministered in the parish, gave a testimonial in Irish to "a local thatcher who had expeditiously and satisfactorily completed a piece of professional work" for him. Such Mass Houses were very typical places of worship in South Tipperary at that time.

Powerstown church was unveiled in 1993.

Parish Projects

  • Powerstown Graveyard Project

    The parish Graveyard Project allows you to search and view the graves in Powerstown cemetery, including headstone images and a mapping of the graveyard.

    View graveyard page

     

  • Powerstown Church Bicentenary 1810-2010, A Commemorative History

    This book is the collaborative endeavour by several parishioners, who covered a variety of topics, ranging from the geographical to the historical aspects of the parish.

    View book details

Login
username
 
password
 
>